▷ Useful Tumblr Information
Below are some tips and useful info I’ve found handy while using Tumblr.
Track your URL- Mind you, URLs with dashes can’t be tracked. You will have to track something else. (ie if your URL is writing-for-eternity, you will have to track writingforeternity.) If you have a URL like this, tell your followers on your blog’s description what you are tracking. Tracking your URL will help you find things people have posted for you such as follow Fridays or something else.
Only the first five tags are tracked- This applies only to original posts, that is things you post yourself. Tumblr only tracks the first five tags you use, and the rest are only used for searching on your blog. So if you want a post of yours to get exposure, make sure you aren’t tagging your feelings during those first five tags. This doesn’t apply to reblogs. Tumblr does not track tags added for a reblog. Tags added then will only be able to be found on your blog only.
Tumblr Posting Limits- Limits are up because this is a free blogging service and to prevent spam.
- Post- The daily post limit is 250 posts. Only 75 of these can be original photo posts. This includes reblogs. It also doesn’t matter if a post is deleted. That post still counts toward your daily limit. Posts made on side blogs and content added to the queue also count. It resets at midnight eastern standard time.
- Ask- You can ask 10 questions per hour and 5 can be anonymous. Fanmail lets you get by this limit, but you can’t be anonymous. You can either send fanmail instantly after following a blog or you will have to wait two weeks. (This depends on the users reply settings.) You can add links to fanmail and there are no limits to how much you can send.
- Queue- the queue can hold up to 300 posts at a time.
- GIF- There have been rumors going around that the gif size limit increased. They lied. It’s still only 1MB. This applies to any upload method. If you go over this for a photo post, it won’t move and if you go over in a text post, it will be a gray box instead.
- Audio- You can post one (up to 10 MB) audio/mp3 file per day.
Reblogging Long Text Posts- There is an option to reblog as link or text. The option is near the gear icon on the reblog screen. (If you haven’t been updated the option will come as “Reblog as…”) When you choose to reblog a lengthy text post, it will come as a link by default. If you want to read the whole thing via reblog, you will need to reblog it as text.
Keyboard Shortcuts- (Most of these shortcuts only work if you are using J and K to navigate.) While on the dashboard, you can use J and K to move between the next and previous posts, use L to like a post, N lets you view the notes. The space bar will let you view the photoset or video post. ALT+Reblog (shift+R) is an instant reblog. Shift+E adds a post to the queue. Z+Tab lets you navigate between your blogs and dashboard. The ESC button allows you to exit out of the reblog, video or photoset screen.
Quick Access to Blog- If you hover over someone’s avatar while on the dashboard, an i icon appears. Clicking it allows you to ask them a question, send fanmail (if you can) or unfollow them.
Nicer Themes- Tumblr’s theme garden has some fairly nice themes, but the really good ones cost money. Here is a list of some good free theme sites I’ve come across. (I’ll update the list as I find more sites.) Having a visually appealing theme might also help you gain followers.
Theme Recovery Tool- Tumblr backs up the last 20 changes you made to your blog’s HTML code. It’s pretty handy if you accidentally delete your custom HTML or lose it somehow. Check it out here.
Get an Extension- Missing e and Xkit make tumblr a LOT easier to use. You get a few more keyboard shortcuts and it’s easier to reply to replies. There are also other features as well. Missing e has been watered down since the tumblr update though. (You won’t be able to add tags to asks before answering them.) However, tumblr will deny you user support should you use these extensions. If you ever need to contact support, you will need to uninstall the extension.